Trying to shed off some pounds while in quarantine? Whether you’re a fitness enthusiast or someone who had just recently decided to become fit, maintaining an active lifestyle while staying at home could pose a challenge.
However, as the saying goes, “if there’s a will, there’s a way.” Despite the odds, there are still a ton of ways to keep your focus and keep the workout vibe alive. Eager to know how could this be done?
Below, we have prepared a short guide that will help you set up an easy and effective exercise routine at home. From the right schedule to determining the appropriate exercises, here are the top tricks to establish an effective home-based fitness program.
First Step: Know Your goals
Of course, similar to all other missions, the first step to creating an effective exercise routine is to identify what your specific goals are. Perhaps, for many, the most common reason for engaging in an exercise program is to lose weight.
However, this is not the same for everyone. In some cases, there are people who want to keep an active lifestyle or to bulk up their muscles. Meanwhile, for others, exercising is a way to maintain their current physique.
Depending on which situation you’re on, you can easily determine what goals you are. Once you’ve settled that, it will be easier for you to come up with the right workout routine that will suit your needs.
Second Step: The Right Workout Routine
Generally, for fitness to be deemed effective, it must follow five essential elements. This includes the following.
- A warmup – usually about 5 to 10 minutes
- A cardio/aerobic workout
- These are cardio-based exercises that get your heart pumping and your muscles moving. Generally, it can range from low intensity (ex. modified mountain climber or stationary bicycling) to high intensity (ex. jumping jacks, burpees, etc.) workouts.
- Resistance/strength-building exercises
- These are physical exercises that demand strength and endurance. Common routines that fall under this category include squats, pushups, lifting weights, using resistance bands, etc.
- Flexibility moves
- These are exercises that involve stretching muscles. The best exercises of this type include cat stretching, forward lunging, and more.
- A cooldown – usually about 5 to 10 minutes, accompanied by light running
Depending on your state, you can dictate the length of your routine and how many sets you should do. Specifically, if you’re after the goal of shedding some pounds, the ideal length usually scores to 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise.
On the other hand, if you want to build muscles, you should opt to engage in 20 to 30 minutes of weight training that involves 8 to 15 repetitions when you lift.
Establish A Schedule
Once you’ve made up your own home-based exercise program, you can now proceed to create your schedule.
Generally, there is no particular time in a day that has already been proven to be the most ideal time for exercise. However, research suggests that there are certain times that are proven to be more convenient than others.
Working out in the morning, especially, has been thought to be one of these options. Since it helps burn stored fats, morning exercises are the best bet for weight loss.
Meanwhile, if you’re set to make a lengthy and rigorous routine, opting for an afternoon workout isn’t a bad idea either. Since it gives you time to eat a meal and rest for a bit, this makes it the most ideal time to perform high-intensity workouts.
- Create your own workout playlist. It will help you sustain your workout mood for a while.
- Find a suitable place for your exercise routine at home. Try to be away from your bedroom or other places that might tempt you to back away from your plans and spend the day being lazy.
- Record your progress. If possible, try to keep a workout diary.
The Bottom Line
While working out at home comes with its own downsides, staying true to your goal won’t be as challenging as it seems if you have the right tricks and methods.
Are you ready to achieve that body goal without leaving your home? Follow these tips today!